Wednesday, September 03, 2014

The Old Hook Maker Returns.. (AUCTION IS OVER FOR NOW..)..

A post at long last!!  
Of late I've had a serious case of Blogger Block, but I'm determined to get back on the horse and ride all the way down to the old apple tree, pick up a stick, and release the inner hook; then write a post about the adventure.  So it is said, so it will be done (ok maybe without the horse).
  I'm also determined, as promised, to put some hooks up for bids.  But first.... you want to see the transformation  of a shed branch from the old apple tree (lower left corner of the photo below) to a remarkable crochet hook?  You do!  Ok take a look.


 What you see above is a little stick that was likely pruned from the old apple tree by a bear, a deer, a cow, snow or wind.  However it was shed from the tree, I found it on the ground, looked to see if it had hook possibilities and got out the old whittling knife.  Here's the result.
A really beautiful piece of wood was hiding under that rough bark.  All it took to release the inner hook was a bit imagination followed by whittling, sanding and plenty of polishing.  The results are pretty amazing, eh?   I was so inspired, that I made more, right there on the Front Porch.  Sort of went back to my hook making roots.  It felt good.  And it feels good to be back.  Hope you haven't given up on me.

I'll be adding photos here hopefully today of hooks like this and maybe some turned ones too, for sale at auction.

AUCTION, FIRST PART IS OVER AS OF 10PM TONIGHT, 9/6/2014  THANK YOU FOR YOUR BIDS.  WINNIN BIDDERS PLEASE CONSIDER PAYING V IA PAYPAL BY CLICKING ON THE "MAKE A DONATION" BOX IN THE LEFT HAND MARGIN OF THIS BLOG.  PLEASE INCLUDE $2.50 EXTRA FOR SHIPPING IN YOUR PAYMENT AND BE SURE TO PROVIDE THE ADDRESS WHERE THE HOOKS SHOULD BE MAILED.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR DROPPING BY.  THOSE WHO DIDN'T FIND SOMETHING TO BID ON, PLEASE CHECK BACK, I'LL BE ADDING MORE HOOKS TO THIS POST FOR ANOTHER AUCTION VERY SOON.
JIMBO


Somehow I figured out how to label the hooks in the picture!  Cool, huh.
Ok so we'll start with noting that all these hooks with the exception of hook E came from the old apple tree.  Hook E, I think, came from one of the Aspen trees just north of the old apple tree.  ALL of these hooks are genuine original  and hand carved by Jimbo while sitting on the Front porch on the ranch on Deadman Creek.  Wish you could have been there.  Twas a beautiful evening and the shavings curled perfectly.
So here we go.

Hook A is the hook with the little story above.  A beauty from a beast of a stick.  Sizewise it's an H (5mm) and it's 6 1/2 inches long.

Hook B is another beauty, but a little smaller. Overhand Lefties will love this one. It's a G (4mm) and is  6 inches long.

Hook C is a 7 (4.5mm) and a bit over 7 inches long.  I love the foot end on this one.  Looks a bit like a pony hoof.

Hook D is an L (a wee bit short of 8mm) and tips the tape at 7 inches.  You'll spend lots of time just turning this one around in your hand to see all the surprising grain and cambium features.

Hook E escaped from a Aspen branch that fell on the Porch.  Must have had hopes for becoming a hook, so I helped it out.  It's a K (6.5mm) and is 7 1/4 inches long.

Hook F is an H (5mm) and is another beauty.  This one has a foot shaped foot.  I like it!.  It's 6 3/4 inches of old apple tree beauty.

Hook G has a little graceful knee bend toward the foot end that snuggles against the heel of the hand when crocheting.  It's  a J (6mm) and 7 inches long as the crow flies; a bit longer if you count the bends.

So there you have it for this part of the auction... a friendly bunch of hooks all made completely by hand and just waiting to inspire you to venture out and crochet amazing things.  Any one of these hooks are guaranteed to get second looks from your crochet buddies.

Note please that this is the first part of an auction.  I'll be posting more hooks for your bidding pleasure soon.

You can place your bids by simply emailing me at jimbocrochetwhittler@yahoo.com
As always, please increase bids by $5 minimum.  First received bids will be favored in the case of a tie. I'll try to post bids as they come in, however I can't be at the computer at all times so I beg your understanding.
The auction will end this coming Saturday, Sept. 6 at 10pm Pacific time.

Happy bidding, and thanks for your patience!!
Jimbo

Bids:

Hook A
Sherri bids $10

Hook B
Carla goes $15

Hook C
Michelle goes $10

Hook D
Sherri's here with $10
Carrie raises it to $20

Hook E
Susan goes $10
Michelle bids $15

Hook F
Susan with $10

Hook G
And Sherri again with $10
Carrie takes it to $20
Doug comes in under the wire with $40!

2 comments:

D'gou said...

Very cool before and after.
So glad you are back, and can't wait to see the new hooks!

Margie said...

I recently found your blog and enjoy reading about, and seeing pictures of your carvings. Where I live we have a lot of Myrtle wood and I've played with it a little. I quilt a lot, nothing fancy and have a piece I use to press seams with. I LOVE the feel of the wood and it was shaped just right. Keep up the work and pictures. Now I want to go find some wood and try a crochet hook! LOL